Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Uh-Oh: Suddenly Lean!


It was a cold winter morning and surprisingly the car took a bit of time to start. After a few cranking attempts it started the car up and I went on my merry way in search for foods. After hearing the BOV whoosh a few times I started to notice something flashing in my peripheral vision... It was the AFR gauge..

The meter was reading lean... What the.

I immediately stopped boosting and monitored the gauge as I coasted. The meter continued to fluctuate between optimal and lean... Uh-oh.

What would cause a lean condition? My first thought perhaps an intake coupler got loose and the engine would be sucking in unmetered air. After an inspection that was not the case. Perhaps a vacuum line? Nope it was not.

I double checked the tune of the AEM FIC and it too seemed normal. I checked the O2 meter on the Scangauge and it too looked normal. I checked fuel trims. Unchanged since I last drove the car. Everything was normal except for the gauge reading a lean condition.

So I looked at the gauge in more detail, specifically the Innovate LC-1. I hooked up the serial adaptor and tapped into the computer to see what it was doing. Zomg! It reset! All the A/F ratio values that I programmed in was gonners!

After forum surfing I found that the LC-1 could indeed incorrectly calibrated itself if power was turned on and off quickly, e.g. from cranking the car. It looked like the multiple crank attemps from this morning reset the cal on the LC-1. The solution was to update the LC-1's firmware with the latest, where they added a fix to make the 'cal hold time' longer.

I reprogrammed the LC-1 and recalibrated the sensor. Booyaka! It's working again... Phew!

Thankfully it wasn't anything crazy. From forum surfing it looks like alot of people have had problems with the LC-1... Hopefully this will be the last incident for me... If not, see you in another Uh-Oh post!

No comments:

Post a Comment